LHCC needs in response to COVID-19 and the recently announced nine-week public school shutdown, thru May 15 – Week 4 Update
|Keeping our families, volunteers and staff informed and safe while minimizing the spread of the COVID-19 virus remains our top priority. We continue to support our families through daily interaction and connections in order to provide encouragement, and offer hope & support for their immediate emotional and tangible needs.
Thanks to our meal partner, Freedom Within Walls, we have commenced delivering meals door-to-door to our children who are home-bound and whose parents are occasionally at work. A humbling experience, but one we are grateful to be able to provide, now for the fourth week. This service will continue for as long as we are able, expected to be well into May… The CDC has indicated that “there is no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19“. So, we are good to continue doing the work we are doing, and practicing social distancing and washing of hands.
Organizations and individuals have started reaching out to offer support. Here are our most immediate needs:
- Volunteers for food delivery . Have vehicle will drive or deliver. We need volunteers over 16 who can help us deliver bagged lunch and breakfast meals to our families along the South Blvd corridor, for one of five days a week (to get familiar with routes), for about 90 minutes. Pick up meals curbside. No human contact is required. Volunteer sign up link
- Food donations of items that may become scarce and that will go directly to families we are delivering kids meals to. These items include rice, beans, potatoes, corn, canned vegetables Email us for drop off. Consider organizing a neighborhood food drive
- Support local small businesses ~ Order a cake or excellent meals prepared by an excellent cook whose business has been decimated by the stay-at-home order. Email us for details
- Monetary donations for food items to be acquired by our Charities Kitchen caterer and meals for the family LHCC
- Volunteers to help pack children’s meals at Charities Kitchen from 9:30am to 10:30am weekdays (and weekends) at Nations Ford Community Church, 5901 Nations Ford Road. Please kindly email Tara at our catering partner. Social distancing and protective measures enforced for your safety.
As we enter week 4 of meal deliveries, we do not want families to feel isolated. LHCC support is being provided through:
– Regular contact with parents and children by volunteers and staff, and the above-noted meal program for children.
– Meals for adult neighbors for the weekends, prepared by our parents, compliments of LHCC
– Supplemental on-line educational resources and chapter books for continued learning at home
Thank you for your support. We covet your prayers for the children and families we serve on a daily basis during this pandemic and stay-at-home period.
Working while it is day! The best advice is to keep your hands clean, use a face mask, and don’t touch your face
Learning Help Centers of Charlotte
April 6, 2020
Your partnership, passion and volunteer involvement all continue to make a difference.
Here are a few examples of our accomplishments and milestones this year:
- We increased our family engagement by over 60% as we commenced providing services to parents across a broad spectrum of topics from assimilation to immigration
- We served over 150 children over the summer and during the school year
- Parents like Glenda and Sugey managed to provide increased oversight of the homework and reading requirements of her three children
- Children like Karina and Shaila truly embarked upon an improved English reading regimen and have now started reading to their younger siblings
Many people have helped raise a significant portion of our Learning Help Centers of Charlotte operating budget. For every dollar raised over 95 cents goes directly towards providing scholastic, spiritual and social supports to families mired in generational poverty.
If you’re thinking of making a year-end gift to LHCC, don’t do it just because we are celebrating our 8th year of existence in 2020:
Do it because you want to see more children succeeding in public schools
Do it because we have many benevolence requests at this time of year. Families in need of reliable transportation, out of work or under-employed, and simply need a hand up. We are building a benevolence fund with a goal of $5,000 in 2020.
Do it because you love to hear feedback from volunteers who are sharing their expertise and being beacons of hope for the next generation
Do it because most families would never be able to afford what we provide in the form of education and encouragement, at a local church and close to where they live and go to school
Your reasons for giving at the end of the year should inspire you. We hope that your love for our neighbors and the communities we serve does just that and that you feel good about the social good we are providing as a trusted community partner. We believe that good works lead to goodwill that leads to good news and that hope is oftentimes more important than building vocabulary.
Thank you again for all that you do for Learning Help Centers of Charlotte!
MAKE A DONATION VOLUNTEER