This week, LHCC Mobile Meals enters its 13th week of delivering kids meals to our families in the South Blvd corridor. Volunteers have been fantastic about showing up at our catering kitchen to pack and deliver meals each weekday. Thank you for continuing to be a big part of LHCC Mobile Meals and for your loyalty to our program.
Chuck Coonradt once said, in his best-selling book Game of Work, that to people who don’t matter, you merely tell them what is going down. For people you really value, you tell them the “why”. We have made a few changes that we want to share with you.
- We have reduced our kids’ deliveries from over 160 to 90 kids, or 180 meals per day
- We have reduced our driver routes from three to one, so that only one driver and delivery crew can deliver more meals to about the same number of addresses
- The delivery should take about 60 to 75 minutes
We plan to deliver meals to the families who are both directly a part of our program and really couldn’t receive meals any other way. Here’s the why…
- Many of our families have only one vehicle that leaves for dad’s work early each morning, leaving mom at home without transportation for the day.
- We have always been big on not providing hand-outs, choosing instead to serve others only when they can’t reasonably do it for themselves.
- We also made sure that we did not leave any family high and dry. We have directed families to local feeding sites, including CMS schools to collect daily meals. We assure you none of the families we have served will go hungry.
LHCC continues to provide:
- Weekly bulk food deliveries to our family, thanks to donations by the community.
- Volunteer help for our caterer, at Nations Ford, Charities Kitchen
- Support a single mother of two who prepares adult meals for our families without employment.
Thank you to each and every volunteer who has supported our families since mid-March. We look forward to seeing all our kids together for our annual summer program in late July and early August to prepare our kids for their return to school after five long hot summer months.
If you would like to volunteer, or volunteer your high school or college student, please have them connect with us and sign-up for a small role during our summer camp through our website link
Until next time, have a blessed week and stay safe.
Executive Director, Learning Help Centers of Charlotte
June 15, 2020