Welcome to the LHCC volunteer site! Here you will find updates about our programs, current volunteer needs, and updated CMS information as well as announcements on program cancellations and special events.
News for April
- Volunteer Dinner May 25th, 6 pm
- This Tuesday we will host a thank-you dinner for our volunteers. Volunteers are welcome to eat with our families but may also take the food home. We will also be raffling off two gift baskets.
- Last Connecthub of the year was hosted on Wednesday 5/5:
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered with our Connecthubs! The kids really enjoyed it and we saw a lot of progress with their schoolwork in relation with the program. Day programs will start back up on June 18th.
- We are seeking volunteers for Summer Camps:
- Each Friday during the summer starting June 18th we will be holding a summer day camp for our students from 8 am until 4 pm. We will have educational activities as well as outdoor activities and possibly excursions. Volunteers will help lead a group of students during the day and through activities. We are also looking for volunteers to read with students, help with supervision, and lead activities. We will also be holding week-long camps the first two weeks of August. Please let Rebeca know if you or anyone you know is interested in volunteering.
- Mother’s Day Drive
- Thank you for your donations to our Mother’s Day Drive. The mothers loved the event! Pictures are on our Instagram
- We are currently seeking Kinship Kitchen Volunteers:
- We want to invite our existing volunteers to join LHCC student’s moms for ServeSafe food preparation training, starting on this coming Tuesday from 5:30pm to 6:30pm. We believe that this will be a great opportunity to build kinship between volunteers and moms. Volunteers would join moms and be present and learn alongside them. Certfication is not required, but for those who would like to become certified, LHCC is willing to sponsor our volunteers who would pay $50 towards the $200 in per person training costs and would include the cost of certification. Our eventual goal is to have moms and volunteers come earlier than 5:30pm and help prepare meals for our families each week, under the direction of Sonia our new chef and trainer.
Cancellations and Holidays
- The final day of tutoring for the year is May 25th. Summer programs being June 18th and run every Friday through June 30th. If you are unable to make it to a scheduled tutoring night or have any questions about programming, please contact Rebeca at firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of time.
Current and Upcoming Programs
- We are excited to start up two new programs including the LHCC SLAY the Dragon (of discouragement) Leadership Academy for middle and high school students and our Kinship Kitchen.
- LHCC Connecthub:
- Connecthub is held on Wednesdays at Saint Andrew’s to offer supervision, internet access, and breakfast and lunch to students who are currently taking classes online. Students also have access to games, books, and outdoor play areas to use while on their breaks.
- LHCC SLAY the Dragon Leadership Academy:
- A middle and high school student leadership program focused on teaching life skills and motivating students. Volunteers hold workshops with students to introduce them to new hobbies and careers in a setting that promotes community.
- Our first two sessions covered chess and photography. Now students are excited to play chess during their breaks and a few are using their phone cameras to take new pictures.
- LHCC Kinship Kitchen and Culinary Cuisine Academy:
- A community kitchen for LHCC families and community members to learn new recipes, cook, and grow their catering businesses. Currently in the planning phase. Volunteers will be invited to help our parents prepare and sell food while experiencing cuisine from around the world.
Current Volunteer Needs
- We are reaching out to high school and college-aged students to lead workshops for our middle and high school students. Workshops range from life skills like organization to interests such as photography. If you are interested or know of someone who is, please contact Rebeca at email@example.com.
- We are recruiting for a full-time Operations Team Leader. Our team is seeking to grow and expand our quality of program services to the churches and neighborhoods where we choose to serve. We desire to hire an individual with passion and ingenuity who can help up grow and make a God-sized impact as we continue to serve the needs of our neighbors. Please speak to Brent if you have any referrals or need the job description.
- CMS has moved pre-k, elementary, and students with disabilities to in-person learning as of May 10th five days out of the week.
Updates on District 2 Performance
- District 2 is the district for the majority of our students. Below you will find some information on the impacts of COVID-19 on student progress in the district. While this information can be disheartening, we do want to emphasize that we will continue to work with our students throughout the year and this coming summer to fill the gaps. We are also focusing on their mental, emotional, and physical well-being during this time.
Hebrews 6:10 “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”
Thank you for reading all the way to the bottom. And thank you for being the best part of LHCC!
Brent, Rebeca, Diego, and Caren